Loading Menu Bar...
If menu bar fails to load, please refresh your browser.
History
Back

.......::::::: This page is nearing completion :::::::.......

Clubrooms

Old Painting
click to enlarge

The History of Putaruru Golf Club 1924 -2001 

Being one of the most long lived organisations of any kind in Putaruru, the Putaruru Golf Club has seen many homes.

In 1920 a few holes were marked out on the property of the late Mr A Bent on Overdale Road.  In 1921 a meeting was called to form a Golf Club and a subscription of £1-1-0 for men and 10/6d for ladies was proposed.  This was subsequently amended to 5/- for men and 2/6d for ladies.

Three shifts to other 9 holes courses complete the history records.  In 1923 and then in 1925 and eventually to this present site in 1938 when the Club’s leased enough land off MR G F Bayly on Back Lichfield Road to form a 9 hole golf course and build a Clubhouse. The greens were formed and fenced with 5 wires and the farms sub divisional fences had to be played over without relief.

On the first Saturday in April each year, a working bee was held in order to clear the course of king sized thistles and other weeds.

During World War II membership declined, but by 1946 following demobilisation it rose again, seeing 40 men and 17 ladies playing. 

In 1945 a fund was started with the intention of providing finance to ultimately purchase a piece of land so the Club could own their own land.  Several contracts with landowners fell through, so in 1950 discussions began with Mr G F Bayly, over whose property the Club was playing, for the purchase of the playing area, plus sufficient land for a further 9 holes, in all 90 acres.

In 1951 an agreement to purchase was signed for approximately £90 per acre and possession was made that year with a further 9 holes being developed.

Working bees with the help of Mr Redmond from Rotorua who planned the original layout were the order of the day.  But the plan didn’t meet the approval of all the members , so in 1954, Mr Babbage of Te Awamutu, a well known course architect, was called in to plan an entirely new layout, which was to be played in the reverse direction.  The plans were left with the Club and his layout is the one which the Club plays today.

In the course of time, the ladies section became the Ladies Club.  The first recorded Annual General Meeting of the Putaruru Golf Club was held in April 1924.  It is of interest to learn that at the AGM in May 1929 the ladies were given the right to be represented by two ladies who could attend club meetings, but there is no record of them using that privilege until 1933.

On the night of Wednesday 11th December 1968, a devastating fire destroyed the Clubhouse, furnishings and honours board.  An extraordinary meeting was held on 23rd January 1969 to decide whether or not to purchase a redundant Clubhouse from Lochiel Golf Club, but it was decided to rebuild and in October 1969 the new facility was officially opened.  In 1970, at last the Club could realise a dream it had cherished for years - the abolition of the sheep and green fences.  The flock was sold and the farming activities ceased after 18 years of profit for the Club.  As a result, it was necessary to substantially increase subscriptions and continue with fundraising, to start to reduce the $20,000.00 that was borrowed - the cost of the new Clubhouse.

Over the years, there have been ongoing improvements to the course, which is carried out by one fulltime course superintendent, plus a part-time employee, who are supported by a strong ground committee and playing members.

The rolling terrain gives the course a picturesque and park like appearance of which a par of 72 is a test for most golfers.


1932 picture of Putaruru
Golf Club and Members

I don't think that the passage of time has dulled any of the passion for the game judging by these hard cases

 

Back Row: Nan Carruthere, Duke Paxton, Arch Delargey, Nora Wallace, Dick Rolfe, Jim Murphy, Harry Dukeson (Captain 1932), Hec Gordon, Larry Root.

 

Front Row: Ken Paxton, Alf Hamilton (Green keeper), Dick Smith, Madge McLaren, Pearl Surgenor, Connie Tulloch (face only), ----, Mrs L. Drummond, Astrid Holt, Mrs Louden, Mrs Coupe, Trixie Cooper, Bill Bailey, Mrs Barnett, Zoe Barnett, Bert Leggatt (Patron 1924-39), Fred Barnett (President 1926, 28-29, 31-37), Gladys Brougham, Dora McKenzie, Bernice Ranger, Laura Smith, Jim Callaghan, Jack Lindsay, Les Drummond (cap on), Fred White, George Woodhouse (cap on), Pat Patterson, Geoff Gibb, Harry Louden.

 

PGC 1932
click to enlarge

Vet Golfers
click to enlarge

 

Winners of the 1990 "New Zealand Breweries Plate"

"This is where some of these Vets were young!

Royal Hong Kong Police Trophy

Won during the 1985 Golfing Society Tour to Hong Kong of course.

Anyone with any more info please contact Captain Ding via Feedback

Hong Kong Police Shield
click to enlarge

 

Life Members

VL Drummond
V. L. Drummond
ET Uden
E. T. Uden
DC Freeman
D. C. Freeman
LEA Root
L. E. A. Root
DC Freeman
Mrs. D. C. Freeman
N Spraggon
N. Spraggon
Mrs N Spraggon
Mrs. N. Spraggon
LEA Root
Mrs. L. E. A. Root
AA Hamilton
A. A. Hamilton
JA Fitzherbert
J. A. Fitzherbert
FB Sabiston
F. B. Sabiston
RH Lithgow
R. H. Lithgow
VA Lithgow
V. A. Lithgow
WW Tapurau
W. W. Taparau
GF Robb
G. F. Robb
NR Pritchard
N. R. Pritchard
I Orr
Irene Orr
Copyright © 2017 | All Rights Reserved | PGC